You signed in with another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You signed out in another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You switched accounts on another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.Dismiss alert
during this time any reasonable change can be merged, comment on this issue with the commit you would like added to the release branch
04 06 January 2023 - cherry-picking hard deadline
during this time only critical changes will be merged, comment on this issue with the commit you would like added to the release branch as well as the reasoning for adding it
Note: for this specific release, given we'll have the end of the year period, I've extended the cherry-picking hard deadline in 1 week, so that we some more time to consider patches to be included.
Call for release managers: in case you want to be involved in upcoming releases, please manifest your interest in this thread and we'll try to organise.
we discussed the release in the community meeting this morning. here are notes:
release is running late. @leandron will update the schedule
branch created, current status is past the hard deadline for cherry-picks. can still get a few last commits in given we are behind (but speak up soon).
still need to put the release notes together, we have a script but it may need some edits (it can be tough to get prose from various parties to summarize the changes).
note: tests/scripts/release script has mostly been tested on mac.
if you want to try out the 0.11 prerelease wheel, it's built on pypi and you can try it with pip install --pre apache-tvm~=0.11. we will also upload the prerelease tarball before opening a vote thread.
The release branches are protected from force pushes / deletes by GitHub, but cherry-picking shouldn't require rewriting history right? Are you doing something like this?
Can we ensure a date that this release will be completed? So the downstream organization can decide whether sync this release to our internal or not, thanks.
Can we ensure a date that this release will be completed? So the downstream organization can decide whether sync this release to our internal or not, thanks.
I'm working on this at the moment, and will update here as soon as it's ready for review/vote. thanks.
The release branches are protected from force pushes / deletes by GitHub, but cherry-picking shouldn't require rewriting history right? Are you doing something like this?
i have asked asf-infra whether perhaps gitbox has misconfigured our branch protection. i'm not able to view that natively in the GH UI, i believe, so i'm left to deduce what i can from the asf.yaml and associated docs.
okay, traced this down with the help of asf infra. it appears we tried to configure this in .asf.yaml last Oct, but GH API didn't support configuring branch patterns. @driazati filed a ticket about this and they manually configured it for us. there do exist some .asf.yaml in fix_typo and alter/fix_gpu_other_build branches with the pattern indicated, but this is a red herring as according to asf infra, branch protection is only configured from canonical branches - that means:
master
main
your default branch
it seems like the problem here is most likely the requirement of code review on those branches. shall we ask ASF infra to remove that requirement and see if that allows us to cherry-pick existing commits? we would need to probably add something about only pushing reviewed commits in that case; also need to address how to verify CI as well, but likely that's not much change from present as you'd want to look at the post-merge build.
Alternatively, you could do a PR to the branch (and merge it)?
This should work for what we need to do and avoid the branch protection issues, has this been tried yet? We should keep the release branches protected IMO so they don't get updated without anyone knowing
Hi. I'm sorry, this is a bit frustrating... you can still checkout the v0.11.0 branch to checkout the contents of the release. I'm working through some issues to be able to do the release, as you can see in the discussions above.
I'll update here when I'm able to push on v0.11.0 branch and the proceed with the release vote. In this meantime, I've shared the Release Notes, you can have a look. Is there anything specific you that is blocking you @HLearning?
Seems like we can still do cherrypick PR and merge that to v0.11.0 instead of directly push. Happy to help on this and drive the release if help is needed
Seems like we can still do cherrypick PR and merge that to v0.11.0 instead of directly push. Happy to help on this and drive the release if help is needed
Yes, absolutely. I'm still getting those messages above, so I'm happy to accept help to have the change to land in the v0.11.0 branch.
Thanks! Can you share the list of commands you ran to merge this? Perhaps we should adjust the Release guideline with that? You can see the commands I was running above, when I'm describing the issue I'm facing there.
I just used git rebase to pick the commits onto top
git checkout [the-commit]
git rebase --onto [branch] HEAD~1
There might be other commands to cherry pick as well. In future perhaps we could try a staging branch before we finalize and put things under the release branch. Let us still if there are still blockers atm
Hi. I'm sorry, this is a bit frustrating... you can still checkout the v0.11.0 branch to checkout the contents of the release. I'm working through some issues to be able to do the release, as you can see in the discussions above.
I'll update here when I'm able to push on v0.11.0 branch and the proceed with the release vote. In this meantime, I've shared the Release Notes, you can have a look. Is there anything specific you that is blocking you @HLearning?
I've just published v0.11.0 as latest release here in GitHub, and at this moment I'm dealing with announcing it at Apache and getting some help to update the website.
Unfortunately I encountered a problem when trying to publish the wheels for v0.11.0:
$ venv/bin/python3
Python 3.8.10 (default, Nov 14 2022, 12:59:47)
[GCC 9.4.0] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import tvm
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/home/areusch/ws/tlcpack/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/tvm/__init__.py", line 79, in <module>
from . import micro
File "/home/areusch/ws/tlcpack/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/tvm/micro/__init__.py", line 23, in <module>
from .model_library_format import (
File "/home/areusch/ws/tlcpack/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/tvm/micro/model_library_format.py", line 34, in <module>
from ..relay.backend import executor_factory
File "/home/areusch/ws/tlcpack/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/tvm/relay/__init__.py", line 29, in <module>
from . import prelude
File "/home/areusch/ws/tlcpack/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/tvm/relay/prelude.py", line 21, in <module>
from tvm.relay.transform import ToANormalFormExpr
File "/home/areusch/ws/tlcpack/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/tvm/relay/transform/__init__.py", line 20, in <module>
from .transform import *
File "/home/areusch/ws/tlcpack/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/tvm/relay/transform/transform.py", line 30, in <module>
from ..backend.utils import mangle_module_name
File "/home/areusch/ws/tlcpack/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/tvm/relay/backend/__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
from . import te_compiler
File "/home/areusch/ws/tlcpack/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/tvm/relay/backend/te_compiler.py", line 27, in <module>
from tvm.meta_schedule import is_meta_schedule_enabled
File "/home/areusch/ws/tlcpack/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/tvm/meta_schedule/__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
from . import (
File "/home/areusch/ws/tlcpack/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/tvm/meta_schedule/builder/__init__.py", line 22, in <module>
from .builder import Builder, BuilderInput, BuilderResult, PyBuilder, create
File "/home/areusch/ws/tlcpack/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/tvm/meta_schedule/builder/builder.py", line 21, in <module>
from typing_extensions import Literal
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'typing_extensions'
This is a hole in our CI testing/release process we should plug. We'll need to make a slight tweak to the python install_requires and release a v0.11.1. There aren't any functionality changes expected other than fixing the missing typing_extensions package, so folks don't need to block on this unless they depend on pip3 install apache-tvm.
Activity
leandron commentedon Jan 3, 2023
@apache/tvm-committers Just a reminder that today is the last day to have fixes and PRs ported to the v0.11.0 branch. Let me know.
areusch commentedon Jan 11, 2023
we discussed the release in the community meeting this morning. here are notes:
pip install --pre apache-tvm~=0.11. we will also upload the prerelease tarball before opening a vote thread.leandron commentedon Jan 19, 2023
I'm picking this up and facing an issue with protected branches when trying to cherry-pick #13624 into
v0.11.0- any idea how to solve that?cc @driazati
driazati commentedon Jan 19, 2023
The release branches are protected from force pushes / deletes by GitHub, but cherry-picking shouldn't require rewriting history right? Are you doing something like this?
Johnson9009 commentedon Jan 31, 2023
Can we ensure a date that this release will be completed? So the downstream organization can decide whether sync this release to our internal or not, thanks.
leandron commentedon Jan 31, 2023
I'm working on this at the moment, and will update here as soon as it's ready for review/vote. thanks.
leandron commentedon Feb 2, 2023
I was just trying to produce the tarball with the actual
v0.11.0with that cherry-picked commit, but I'm probably missing something:manupak commentedon Feb 2, 2023
Looks like the GH branch protection is kicking in , kind of like : https://docs.github.com/en/repositories/configuring-branches-and-merges-in-your-repository/defining-the-mergeability-of-pull-requests/about-protected-branches#require-pull-request-reviews-before-merging
Alternatively, you could do a PR to the branch (and merge it)?
areusch commentedon Feb 3, 2023
i have asked asf-infra whether perhaps gitbox has misconfigured our branch protection. i'm not able to view that natively in the GH UI, i believe, so i'm left to deduce what i can from the asf.yaml and associated docs.
areusch commentedon Feb 3, 2023
okay, traced this down with the help of asf infra. it appears we tried to configure this in
.asf.yamllast Oct, but GH API didn't support configuring branch patterns. @driazati filed a ticket about this and they manually configured it for us. there do exist some.asf.yamlinfix_typoandalter/fix_gpu_other_buildbranches with the pattern indicated, but this is a red herring as according to asf infra, branch protection is only configured from canonical branches - that means:it seems like the problem here is most likely the requirement of code review on those branches. shall we ask ASF infra to remove that requirement and see if that allows us to cherry-pick existing commits? we would need to probably add something about only pushing reviewed commits in that case; also need to address how to verify CI as well, but likely that's not much change from present as you'd want to look at the post-merge build.
driazati commentedon Feb 3, 2023
This should work for what we need to do and avoid the branch protection issues, has this been tried yet? We should keep the release branches protected IMO so they don't get updated without anyone knowing
HLearning commentedon Feb 18, 2023
@leandron so...
junrushao commentedon Feb 20, 2023
Any updates?
leandron commentedon Feb 20, 2023
Hi. I'm sorry, this is a bit frustrating... you can still checkout the
v0.11.0branch to checkout the contents of the release. I'm working through some issues to be able to do the release, as you can see in the discussions above.I'll update here when I'm able to push on
v0.11.0branch and the proceed with the release vote. In this meantime, I've shared the Release Notes, you can have a look. Is there anything specific you that is blocking you @HLearning?tqchen commentedon Feb 20, 2023
Seems like we can still do cherrypick PR and merge that to v0.11.0 instead of directly push. Happy to help on this and drive the release if help is needed
leandron commentedon Feb 20, 2023
Yes, absolutely. I'm still getting those messages above, so I'm happy to accept help to have the change to land in the v0.11.0 branch.
tqchen commentedon Feb 20, 2023
#14057 is now merged with cherry pick.
leandron commentedon Feb 20, 2023
Thanks! Can you share the list of commands you ran to merge this? Perhaps we should adjust the Release guideline with that? You can see the commands I was running above, when I'm describing the issue I'm facing there.
tqchen commentedon Feb 21, 2023
I just used git rebase to pick the commits onto top
There might be other commands to cherry pick as well. In future perhaps we could try a staging branch before we finalize and put things under the release branch. Let us still if there are still blockers atm
HLearning commentedon Feb 23, 2023
I need a recent packaged version
leandron commentedon Feb 25, 2023
The vote has opened for the release candidate: #14129 - Thanks to @areusch and @driazati who helped sorting out the CI issues with the release branch.
leandron commentedon Mar 2, 2023
I've just published
v0.11.0as latest release here in GitHub, and at this moment I'm dealing with announcing it at Apache and getting some help to update the website.Here is the link for the GitHub releases: https://github.com/apache/tvm/releases
areusch commentedon Mar 9, 2023
Unfortunately I encountered a problem when trying to publish the wheels for v0.11.0:
This is a hole in our CI testing/release process we should plug. We'll need to make a slight tweak to the python install_requires and release a v0.11.1. There aren't any functionality changes expected other than fixing the missing typing_extensions package, so folks don't need to block on this unless they depend on
pip3 install apache-tvm.#14244 fixes this in the release branch.