You signed in with another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You signed out in another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You switched accounts on another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.Dismiss alert
SPEC 0 recommends that we drop support for a Python version for 3 years after its initial release. That means dropping support for python 3.11 (released on October, 24 2022) soon.
Do we want to follow the SPEC 0 recommendation and drop support for python 3.11 soon? It's just a recommendation, so we have some leeway here.
And if we don't want to follow the SPEC 0 minimum python version recommendation, when would we drop python 3.11? 4 years after release? 5?
I would like to be guided by a signal from downstream projects. If literally everyone downstream has already dropped python 3.11 (big doubt), then we could drop 3.11 painlessly. If nobody is ready to drop python 3.11, then we incur the maximal pain if we drop it. We need to put a decision boundary at some point between these two extremes.
I think at least a few people thought that Zarr-Python follows SPEC 0 since it's listed as an endorser, based on the reactions to zarr-developers/governance#11 (comment)
I like SPEC 0 because it simplifies decision making and gives us a community reference to base our decisions on. Here's how I'd like us to think about the policy: we use the spec as a guide as to the "earliest drop date" and we drop support for old version when it is advantageous for us as a project. So we could drop Python 3.11 support as soon as Oct. 24 but we could keep it around for a bit if its not bothering us.
I would suggest we drop it when we add test support for Python 3.14 which could be quite soon I suppose.
Activity
[-]Support older python versions until EOL[/-][+]SPEC 0 minimum supported python version[/+]maxrjones commentedon Oct 9, 2025
I think at least a few people thought that Zarr-Python follows SPEC 0 since it's listed as an endorser, based on the reactions to zarr-developers/governance#11 (comment)
jhamman commentedon Oct 14, 2025
I like SPEC 0 because it simplifies decision making and gives us a community reference to base our decisions on. Here's how I'd like us to think about the policy: we use the spec as a guide as to the "earliest drop date" and we drop support for old version when it is advantageous for us as a project. So we could drop Python 3.11 support as soon as Oct. 24 but we could keep it around for a bit if its not bothering us.
I would suggest we drop it when we add test support for Python 3.14 which could be quite soon I suppose.
d-v-b commentedon Nov 3, 2025
FYI there's a proposal to amend SPEC 0 to support projects that want a slower drop cadence