Skip to content

Release DataFusion 51.0.0 (Nov 2025) #17558

Description

@alamb

Is your feature request related to a problem or challenge?

Tracking ticket for next release, also a place to track desired inclusions

Previous release will be #16799 (Sep, 2025) so next major release would be approximately late Nov 2025

Steps:

TODOs

Prior release tickets:

Related

Features to mention in the blog (if they make it)

Issuses needed

Bugs that should be fixed

Community Wishlist

Activity

  1. added theissue type on Sep 14, 2025
  2. mjgarton commented on Sep 14, 2025

    @mjgarton
    Contributor

    Should the title of this issue say 51.0.0 instead of 50.0.0?

  3. changed the title [-]Release DataFusion `50.0.0` (Nov 2025)[/-] [+]Release DataFusion `51.0.0` (Nov 2025)[/+] on Sep 15, 2025
  4. xudong963 commented on Sep 15, 2025

    @xudong963
    Member

    Should the title of this issue say 51.0.0 instead of 50.0.0?

    yes, thank you, i changed it.

  5. findepi commented on Sep 15, 2025

    @findepi
    Member

    I removed #16842 from "Changes to add to upgrade guide". I think it was completed in 50.0.0. If not, let's add it back.

  6. xudong963 commented on Oct 28, 2025

    @xudong963
    Member

    I think we could start working on the release next week?

  7. rluvaton commented on Oct 28, 2025

    @rluvaton
    Member

    If we could get the following arrow fix merged and released as a patch and upgrade to that patch before the upcoming release it would be sweet:

  8. alamb commented on Oct 28, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    If we could get the following arrow fix merged and released as a patch and upgrade to that patch before the upcoming release it would be sweet:

    I think that one will be released in arrow 57.1.0 (a minor update that won't require a datafusion upgrade).

    So once we have released datafusion 51 we'll be able to do a minor update to arrow 57.1.0

    (in other words, I don't think the release timeline of DataFusion will impact the flow of that PR)

  9. xudong963 commented on Nov 3, 2025

    @xudong963
    Member

    FYI, I plan to cut the 51.0.0 in the next two days. Do we have some high-priority PRs waiting for review?

  10. pepijnve commented on Nov 3, 2025

    @pepijnve
    Contributor

    FYI, I plan to cut the 51.0.0 in the next two days. Do we have some high-priority PRs waiting for review?

    #18444 and #18183 are the remaining two for the CASE epic. Would be nice if we could still get those in.

  11. alamb commented on Nov 3, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    @Omega359 do we have additional work needed for the default timezone fixes?

  12. Omega359 commented on Nov 3, 2025

    @Omega359
    Contributor

    @alamb - the outstanding ones I've got on my radar are

    I'd like to get the first one in for 51.0.0. The other two while nice to have I do not see as critical

  13. alamb commented on Nov 4, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    I'd like to get the first one in for 51.0.0. The other two while nice to have I do not see as critical

    Thanks @Omega359 -- added it to the list above

    I also think we need to fix this regression:

  14. shehabgamin commented on Nov 4, 2025

    @shehabgamin
    Contributor

    We're working on testing Sail on our end.

  15. 37 remaining items

  16. xudong963 commented on Nov 13, 2025

    @xudong963
    Member

    It seems like all PRs are added to branch-51, cc @comphead @timsaucer

    Time to start the RC2

  17. xudong963 commented on Nov 14, 2025

    @xudong963
    Member

    Time to start the RC2

    I think we still need to update changelog before releasing, will do later

  18. xudong963 commented on Nov 14, 2025

    @xudong963
    Member

    Time to start the RC2

    I think we still need to update changelog before releasing, will do later

    Could anyone help do this? My network has been bad for a long time:

    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Request GET /repos/apache/datafusion/commits/e14322da196a75bea2de2be560b93ea7c8e83d11/pulls failed with 403: rate limit exceeded
    Setting next backoff to 3503.394145s
    
  19. alamb commented on Nov 14, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    Could anyone help do this? My network has been bad for a long time:

    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Request GET /repos/apache/datafusion/commits/e14322da196a75bea2de2be560b93ea7c8e83d11/pulls failed with 403: rate limit exceeded
    Setting next backoff to 3503.394145s
    

    Done!

    BTW this happens to me when I don't use my github token (the rate limit is apparently much stricter). I made a PR to add a note to the docs:

  20. xudong963 commented on Nov 15, 2025

    @xudong963
    Member
  21. xudong963 commented on Nov 19, 2025

    @xudong963
    Member

    Done

  22. alamb commented on Nov 19, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    Thank you @xudong963 -- amazing as alwasy

  23. added a commit that references this issue on Jan 5, 2026
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment

Metadata

Metadata

Labels

enhancementNew feature or request

Projects

No projects

    Milestone

    No milestone

    Relationships

    None yet

    Development

    No branches or pull requests

    Issue actions