Skip to content

Release DataFusion 49.0.1 (patch) #17036

Description

@alamb

Is your feature request related to a problem or challenge?

There are a few items that community members have suggested we backport to 49.0.1 rather than waiting for 50.0.0

Describe the solution you'd like

  1. Backport the relevant fixes to the branch-49 branch here
  2. Create a new release
  3. Vote thread: https://lists.apache.org/thread/x95ffh7m3m91qg31sd38155pfsdntnsb

Describe alternatives you've considered

No response

Additional context

We also did a DataFusion 48.0.1 release here:

Activity

  1. shehabgamin commented on Aug 5, 2025

    @shehabgamin
    Contributor

    Arrow 56 would be great to get into the patch release!

  2. alamb commented on Aug 5, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    Arrow 56 would be great to get into the patch release!

    Unfortunately, I don't think we can add arrow to the patch release because it appears as part of the public API and therefore upgrading arrow would not be "semver" compatible (potentially require updates to downstream libraries)

  3. mbutrovich commented on Aug 6, 2025

    @mbutrovich
    Contributor

    Would love to get this into a 49.0.1: #16968

    I have a PR open on Comet to bump to that commit because the SchemaAdapter warning messages are numerous for us. apache/datafusion-comet#2077

    PR opened: #17059

  4. adriangb commented on Aug 6, 2025

    @adriangb
    Contributor

    Would love to get this into a 49.0.1: #16968

    I have a PR open on Comet to bump to that commit because the SchemaAdapter warnings messages are numerous for us. apache/datafusion-comet#2077

    I think this is fair, it's pretty much a regresion

  5. alamb commented on Aug 6, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    @pepijnve any chance you can make a backport pR for #16994 ?

  6. pepijnve commented on Aug 6, 2025

    @pepijnve
    Contributor

    @pepijnve any chance you can make a backport pR for #16994 ?

    Do you mean a PR against branch-49?

  7. pepijnve commented on Aug 7, 2025

    @pepijnve
    Contributor

    @alamb I've created #17068

  8. alamb commented on Aug 8, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    I think we also need a backport for

  9. adriangb commented on Aug 8, 2025

    @adriangb
    Contributor

    I think we also need a backport for

    #17096

  10. self-assigned this
    on Aug 11, 2025
  11. AdamGS commented on Aug 12, 2025

    @AdamGS
    Contributor

    #17129 would also be nice to include, its a pretty small change without no real outside dependencies as far as I can tell.

  12. xudong963 commented on Aug 12, 2025

    @xudong963
    Member

    Hey @alamb , sorry I'm busy with an internal project, maybe you or anyone else can take the release?

  13. alamb commented on Aug 12, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    Hey @alamb , sorry I'm busy with an internal project, maybe you or anyone else can take the release?

    Yes, thank you @xudong963 -- I can handle this release

  14. alamb commented on Aug 12, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    #17129 would also be nice to include, its a pretty small change without no real outside dependencies as far as I can tell.

    @AdamGS sounds good -- any chance you can make a backport PR to the branch-49 branch ?

  15. alamb commented on Aug 12, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    We are also waiting on this PR to address a regression (it looks like @nuno-faria and @berkaysynnada and @findepi are almost at a solution, but it is not quite ready to merge)

    Then I will make a RC and begin voting

  16. AdamGS commented on Aug 12, 2025

    @AdamGS
    Contributor
  17. alamb commented on Aug 13, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    Update here on the release status. I believe are waiting on two PRs to merge

    Once they merge I will create a release candidate

    I have also created a PR for updating the version in preparation

  18. alamb commented on Aug 14, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    Ok, we have all code merged tot he branch-49 branch. I will now make a release candidate and begin voting

  19. alamb commented on Aug 14, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    And we have a release candidate out for voting: https://lists.apache.org/thread/x95ffh7m3m91qg31sd38155pfsdntnsb

  20. haohuaijin commented on Aug 18, 2025

    @haohuaijin
    Contributor

    Sorry @alamb , should we also include #17225 (i have a fix in #1724) to 49.0.1?

  21. alamb commented on Aug 18, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    The release has been approved and published to crates.io

    Thank you everyone

  22. alamb commented on Aug 18, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    Sorry @alamb , should we also include #17225 (i have a fix in #1724) to 49.0.1?

    Hi @haohuaijin

    I don't think we should hold up 49.0.1 for that issue. However, I would be happy to run a 49.0.2 release process if you think it warrants another patch release. We would just need to file a ticket and create a backport PR

    I have added #17225 to the list of bugs to fix for the 50.0.0 release:

  23. haohuaijin commented on Aug 18, 2025

    @haohuaijin
    Contributor

    Thank you for your response, @alamb . If possible, we would prefer to release 49.0.2 after the fix for issue #17225 has been merged. many of our queries have inlist, and the failures occur randomly depending on the field order in schema.

  24. alamb commented on Aug 18, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    Thank you for your response, @alamb . If possible, we would prefer to release 49.0.2 after the fix for issue #17225 has been merged. many of our queries have inlist, and the failures occur randomly depending on the field order in schema.

    I have filed a ticket to track:

  25. haohuaijin commented on Aug 18, 2025

    @haohuaijin
    Contributor

    I have filed a ticket to track:

    Thank you @alamb 👍

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment

Metadata

Metadata

Assignees

Labels

enhancementNew feature or request

Type

No type

Projects

No projects

    Milestone

    No milestone

    Relationships

    None yet

    Development

    No branches or pull requests

    Issue actions