Skip to content

Release arrow-rs / parquet Major version 57.0.0 (October 2025) #7835

Closed

Description

@alamb

Is your feature request related to a problem or challenge? Please describe what you are trying to do.

Let's keep the code flowing. Part of

Release Checklist:

Requested items for release

Activity

  1. added a commit that references this issue on Jul 15, 2025
  2. changed the title [-]Release arrow-rs / parquet Minor version `57.0.0` (October 2025)[/-] [+]Release arrow-rs / parquet Major version `57.0.0` (October 2025)[/+] on Aug 13, 2025
  3. added this to the 57.0.0 milestone on Sep 16, 2025
  4. alamb commented on Sep 26, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    I am hoping we can write a blog about this one too

  5. self-assigned this
    on Oct 14, 2025
  6. alamb commented on Oct 14, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    I am starting to think about making the arrow 57 release.

    @scovich @mbrobbel @jecsand838, @nathaniel-d-ef , are there any PRs / features I should wait on? Specifically I am looking for PRs that make breaking API changes to stable crates (we can still make API changes to variant/avro until we move them from the experimental status)

    I would love to get this PR in (but since it doesn't change any APIs I think it is not required)

  7. nathaniel-d-ef commented on Oct 14, 2025

    @nathaniel-d-ef
    Contributor

    I am starting to think about making the arrow 57 release.

    @scovich @mbrobbel @jecsand838, @nathaniel-d-ef , are there any PRs / features I should wait on? Specifically I am looking for PRs that make breaking API changes to stable crates (we can still make API changes to variant/avro until we move them from the experimental status)

    I would love to get this PR in (but since it doesn't change any APIs I think it is not required)

    For arrow-avro I don't have anything in the works that needs to get in prior to release. @jecsand838 has one outstanding PR with some straightforward changes that I just looked over and approved. I agree with his comment that that PR should wrap #4886.

  8. scovich commented on Oct 14, 2025

    @scovich
    Contributor

    I am starting to think about making the arrow 57 release.

    @scovich @mbrobbel @jecsand838, @nathaniel-d-ef , are there any PRs / features I should wait on? Specifically I am looking for PRs that make breaking API changes to stable crates (we can still make API changes to variant/avro until we move them from the experimental status)

    Do extension types have any warts we want to fix? IIUC, they will no longer be experimental as of arrow-57, so this is our last chance to make non-trivial changes there before arrow-58.

    Meanwhile, I know it's not strictly required to hit arrow-57 because variant is still experimental but -- where are we on variant support in general? Is it sufficiently mature that people could reasonably expect to use it starting with arrow-57? If not, what is missing and how hard would it be to add?

    (we had a flurry of changes go in, but I lost track of what follow-ups might be needed and it's been awfully quiet on the variant front the last week or two)

  9. alamb commented on Oct 14, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    where are we on variant support in general? Is it sufficiently mature that people could reasonably expect to use it starting with arrow-57? If not, what is missing and how hard would it be to add?

    From my perspective, we are "done enough" with the initial implementation

    Though there are plenty of additional work / items listed here:

    What I am personally focusing on now is the initial attempts to integrate variant in downstream crates, notably

    1. @friendlymatthew 's work in https://github.com/datafusion-contrib/datafusion-variant -- see epic: Initial implementation of this crate datafusion-contrib/datafusion-variant#2 for status
    2. @XiangpengHao 's work in [Epic] Support Variant type datafusion-contrib/liquid-cache#392 in LiquidCache

    What I am hoping / expecting now is that we'll get a stream of tickets of rough edges and API issues to help guide where next to spend time

    @friendlymatthew has already started filing these issues:

  10. jecsand838 commented on Oct 14, 2025

    @jecsand838
    Contributor

    @alamb If possible, I'd also like to try to get #8428 out with the 57.0.0 release

  11. jecsand838 commented on Oct 15, 2025

    @jecsand838
    Contributor

    One last small arrow-avro PR came up that we should try to get in: #8633

    I did a thorough double check of the code and didn't come across anything else.

  12. alamb commented on Oct 17, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    I am starting to prepare for the release. Realistically I expect I'll make the RC early next week and with voting that puts us at a release next Thursday or Friday

  13. alamb commented on Oct 19, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    @alamb If possible, I'd also like to try to get #8428 out with the 57.0.0 release

    This makes a lot of sense to me -- what I suggest is that we make the release and then publish the blog so that anyone reading the blog can actually try it out.

  14. alamb commented on Oct 19, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    I reviewed the tickets referred to above, and it looks like they are all merged to me. I will move on to creating a release candidate.

  15. added a commit that references this issue on Oct 19, 2025
  16. alamb commented on Oct 19, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    I have made an RC and started a vote thread: https://lists.apache.org/thread/p1xfockx2dbs7cvkr1p7ly5ffvrm196m

  17. alamb commented on Oct 23, 2025

    @alamb
    ContributorAuthor

    The release was approved and is now available on crates.io and for download: https://lists.apache.org/thread/6ffkbm88g3mjh1orpnf3kg1pmxl3ocpf

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment

Metadata

Metadata

Assignees

Labels

No labels
No labels

Type

No type

Projects

No projects

    Milestone

    Relationships

    None yet

    Development

    No branches or pull requests

    Issue actions